Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What a great day!




Here we are again, and what a good day we had today. Aiden really turned on his little motor! I tell you, it was like night and day compared with Monday's experience in the therasuit. I was, to be quite honest with you, astonished.


For those of you who don't know me very well, I have difficulties with time management, so when I realized that I had to drop both Aaron and Addison off at different locations. I was afraid that I would be really late to the center. Surprisingly, and through God's grace, EVERYONE was on time. Actually, Aiden was early for his session (only by 5 minutes, but I take victories as they come). This started the day off on a really positive note.

After the routine; heat, massage, exercises with weights, and the superman swing, Aiden and I both took a snack break in preparation for the suit. As I read Aiden a book, Shannon started fitting him into the suit. He was ready to go before he realized what was going on. What a blessing; no screaming or crying. It seems that the shoes really were the issue. I was able to get a pair exactly like the ones you see him wearing in the picture to the right. I cut slits on either side of the heel so that his orthotics (SMOs) would just slip in. It really seemed to do the trick.

So, today not only did Aiden he use his gait trainer, walk on a tred mill, and walk independently, but he took his first shot at riding a tricycle!!! And he did it with a smile on his little face.

I cannot express the feelings that this day has birthed in me. Friends, I guess I never thought that I would see a day when my child, who can't walk independently, was on a trike. Imagine your greatest wish for someone who love, and believing that it would be just that, a wish; one you didn't think would come true. This is how I felt before today. My visions for Aiden were limited by his limitations. (Wow, that is a hard thing for this mom to admit.) My vision should only be limited by God's ability to complete a good work in Aiden.

In reality, I was not only limiting Aiden, I was limiting God. Yes, I put God in a box and I stuck Aiden (and his future) in there with Him. How easy it is to underestimate the Lord because of our own limited vision. Continue to pray that I learn to know what I know: God is good and wants good things for His children; as well, the Lord holds Aiden (and me) in His hands. What a good place to be. Also, our therapist, Shannon, is in need of uplifting prayer. Please remember her. God knows her need.

Thank you all so much,

Christa,

PS. What you see in the pictures is as follows: Aiden on a tricycle!!!Yeah! A view of his shoes attached to the therasuit, and lastly, some of his independent stepping. BYE:)


1 comment:

jennbrowning said...

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AIDEN AND CHRISTA!! ( AND SHANNON..AND.....ETC.ETC..!!!) THIS IS A TRUE GROUP EFFORT HERE! SEEMS AS THOUGH HE IS ADJUSTING TO THINGS BETTER AND TOLERATING MORE EACH DAY. HOW EXCITING TO SEE THE PROGRESS. CHRISTA, EVEN TONIGHT.....WHEN AIDEN CAME INTO THE KITCHEN ON HIS KNEES AND STOOD UP TO THE TABLE TO GET WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS HIS SIPPY CUP ALL BY HIMSELF (ALTHOUGH IT WAS REALLY MAX'S, BUT ONLY BECAUSE THEY LOOK ALMOST IDENTICAL!!).....AND HE DID THIS AT LEAST TWICE!! IT WAS PRETTY REMARKABLE/AMAZING TO ME!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MORE PROGRESS TOMORROW AND WITH EACH PASSING DAY...
LOVE,
JENN AND HER GANG :)