Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Two down and three more this week





Greetings from Richmond,
I'd say "another day another dollar", but the reality is that no one could afford to pay me to do what I do. My current job, Aiden's PT coach, is exciting, exhausting and challenging all at the same time. What other job provides you with all of the above, and the hugs and (sloppy) kisses of one such adorable little guy? Daily, I am amazed at the obstacles that my little one approaches with joy. Sometimes he overcomes sometimes he doesn't but there are few that he won't atleast try.
Today was no different. We arrived at the center at 9:45am ready to get going. (Actually, Aiden was ready to go; I on the other hand was feeling a little bit under the weather. I have a sinus infection, but saw a dr. tonight and got an Rx.) Miss Shannon met us and Aiden got to relax with some heat on his little legs; followed by a foot and leg massage. Sounds nice, huh?
The routine seems to be : heat, massage, gym-type leg exercises and then the superman swing. Aiden did really well with the exercises. He's learning the routine - up, kick, down - pretty quickly and responding to some of the verbal commands. He does seem to have an ornery left glutiusmaximus (known at the center as a "glutey"). Aiden does not want to use that little muscle despite the poking that he gets in his little behind! The superman swing went really well today. He was able to keep his head up for 5-10 seconds at a time. I'm prety sure that this was because of his pt tech helper today. She is a pretty blonde. (My son really loves blondes:) )
Suit therapy went much better today. It is obvious to both me and to Shannon that Aiden's issues yesterday stem directly from the shoes. I am not sure whether or not it is the pressure that is required to get his feet into the shoes, or if it is a feeling of being squeezed in the shoes, but he just was beside himself yesterday. Today we strapped him in with his sandals on, and despite a little complaining at the very beginning, there was no screaming. It was quite a relief.
For those of you who continue to pray for us as we embark on this journey, thank you. I believe that you were a part of the "mercies that are new every morning". I really didn't think that I was going to be successful in getting up. I continue to learn. Today, it was something small, a thought about a friend and brother in Christ who has gone to be with the Lord. I remembered floating with him and his sister in a lake in Maine. I remembered the beautiful day, the cool water, the way the balsa fir smelled in the heat. And I remembered that he took each day as it came, appreciating the gifts of the day. I am remembering right now the gifts of this day, and you all are in my thoughts.

Thank you,
Christa
PS. I'm just learning to use the picture thinggie, so the blog looks a little off balance. I'll work on it! :)

No comments: