Sunday, January 11, 2009

A word on marriage

Marriage can be difficult; taking two completely different and independent people and placing them in a relationship that requires give and take, self-sacrifice and compromise. How in the world does it work? The reality is that sometimes it seems overwhelming and not always worth the effort.

The first several weeks of Dave's and my marriage threatened to be the only weeks of our marriage. Due to excessive stress, Dave's 80 hour a week work schedule, and other health issues, I was not happy about being married. I remember sitting down with Dave and telling him that marrying him was the biggest mistake of my life and I was stuck with him forever!!! It was terrible. (It was only 3 weeks into marriage!)

I know how distressing it can be to feel like you are sinking in a swamp of discontent and misery. I remember how depressed and lonely I felt. It was as if God had called me into a relationship that would never succeed. (Actually, I have called this the Prozac period in my life, despite the lack of pharmaceuticals!!) Fortunately, both God and Dave are faithful.

I believe that marriage it ordained by God; that it is a blessing and a gift, but I know that it is also hard work. I know that there are days when Dave and I each wonder exactly what it is that the Lord wants us to learn through our marriage. Let's be honest, it is a difficult course with a hard teacher in a tough school. (But I like to think that I am an over achiever and will eventually make a decent grade!!)

Right now in the lives of many married couples there are difficulties. Marriage is under such attack. If the family is destroyed than despair rules and trust, love and security are broken; the ability of children to see a loving heavenly Father is obscured. Hopelessness becomes the norm.

In the last several weeks I have watched a family fall apart. The wife cares for 3 small children; one child with a disability, the husband is in a high stress job protecting the public. Maintaining a marriage is challenging. Add in a child with a disability or a high stress job and the challenges multiply. Both in a marriage---overwhelming. I don't know if this couple will be able to overcome this damaging situation.

Please pray for marriages today. Pray that couples will communicate honestly and lovingly. Ask the Lord to provide understanding. Pray for marriages that are in crisis; for healing and renewal. Finally, if you know families with challenging situations: spouses in the service, fire fighters, police, children with disabilities, long-term illnesses; be available to help. Be aware that they may need someone to talk to, a couple to come along beside them and mentor them.

Thank you so much for your prayers.
Blessings to all,
Christa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll never know how important this message was at this point and time. You know how my situation can be sometimes and stress is a daily part of my life and my marraige is diffinetly not an easy one, so thanks for the blog. Your in my prayers as always.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey! Are you coming to visit?